Total time: 30 minutes
Servings: 16 slices
1 1/4 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
2 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
Cake 1 box of Carrot Cake Veggie Bars
2 cups finely shredded carrots
2 cups packed pitted medjool dates (measured after pits removed)
2 1/2 cups raw walnuts
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp sea salt
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1 pinch nutmeg
1/2 cup coconut flour (or sub almond flour)
1/4 cup raisins
- If making the frosting (optional), soak the cashews in hot water for 30 minutes – 1 hour. Then rinse and drain. Add to a high-speed blender along with coconut cream, lemon juice, maple syrup, and vanilla and blend on high until very creamy and smooth scraping side as needed. Cover and refrigerate to chill.
- Using a box grater or the grater attachment on your food processor, grate the carrots and set aside.
- To a large (at least 7-cup) food processor, add the pitted dates and blend until small bits remain or a ball forms. Remove from food processor and set aside. (Smaller food processors can be used – the ingredients just need to be blended in batches as to not overflow the bowl.
- To the food processor, add the walnuts, vanilla, salt, and spices. Blend until a semi-fine meal is achieved. Then add dates back in, along with shredded carrots, and pulse in 1-second measurements until a loose dough forms and the carrots are just incorporated. Be careful not to over-blend. You’re looking for a pliable dough, not a purée.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add coconut flour and raisins and stir to combine. By mixing gently as opposed to blending in a food processor, you can keep a lighter, less dense, more “cake-like” texture. Once well combined, set aside.
- Prepare a 18-22 cm springform pan (or large cake pan or baking dish with high edges) by adding parchment paper along the bottom and sides.
- Line the bottom of the cakepan with Carrot Cake Veggie Bars, yoghurt side up and form a solid even layer.
- On top of the layer of Carrot Cake Bars, add the cake mixture, spread and press down evenly to pack. Use a flat-bottomed object, such as a drinking glass, to help press everything into an even layer. If the mixture sticks to the glass, wrap it in parchment paper.
- Pour the frosting on and tap out any air bubbles. Then place on a baking sheet (to keep level) and freeze for 3-4 hours or until the frosting is semi-firm to the touch.
- To serve, make sure the cake isn’t fully frozen so it’s soft enough to cut (letting it thaw on the counter for 30 minutes should help). Then use a hot knife to carefully cut out slices and enjoy.
- Garnish with crumbled Carrot Cake Veggie Bars.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 1 week or in the freezer up to 1 month. It’s best enjoy slightly chilled (not frozen). You can let it sit out at room temperature up to 2 hours, but the frosting can begin to get soft.
This great recipe has been adapted from the recipe’s original author from The Minimalist Baker.